College Credit Through
Nationally-Recognized College Level Examinations
Many adult learners have challenged college level examinations to get college credit for what they have learned through life experience, while others have chosen to study the subjects prior to taking the tests. Regardless of the way students acquire the knowledge, college credit by examination can be an excellent way to accelerate their progress to degree completion, while saving a substantial amount of time and money along the way.
There are several types of examinations for adult learners in the workforce which are reviewed by the American Council on Education (ACE) to ensure correlation to the content of college courses and are recommended for the relevant credit. We help students gain the knowledge in subjects measured by the following types of examinations. In fact, we have thousands of inks on SOCRATES ® to help students succeed, with more than 500 semester hours of tuition-free courses from which to choose:
- College Level Examination Program (CLEP). These examinations are written by the College Board and are always recommended for lower level college credit. They cover a wide array of liberal arts and business subjects and are typically worth 3 semester hours, although some are rated at 6 semester hours and, depending on the score that students make, language examinations may be worth 12 semester hours. These examinations cost $80 each to challenge (subject to change). There are a total of 150 semester hours of subjects offered through CLEP Examinations for you to consider. More than 2,900 colleges and universities across the nation have affirmed that they are willing to award credit for CLEP Examinations.
- DSST Subject Tests. Originally created by the Educational Testing Service in Princeton under a contract to serve the military as Defense Subject Standardized Tests administered by DANTES, the DOD released these to the general public years ago. As such, now anyone can challenge these examinations for college credit. Most of these are worth 3 semester hours, with some even rendering upper level credit. These cover a wide array of subjects for students to consider. These examinations cost $80 each to challenge (subject to change).There are a total of 105 semester hours of subjects offered through DSST Subject Tests for you to consider. More than 2,000 colleges and universities across the nation have affirmed that they are willing to award credit for DSST Tests.
- Excelsior College Examination Program (ECE): UExcel Examinations. These institutional examinations are created by Excelsior College in New York and cover a wide array of subjects, many of which offer upper level credit. These were originally administered by American College Testing as the Proficiency Examination Program (ACT-PEP) on request by Excelsior College, then serving under the name Regents College. Most of these examinations cost $110 each to challenge (subject to change). Research that was published by the Council on Adult & Experiential Learning on June 23rd, 2010, shows that 90% of the public colleges surveyed stated they are willing to award credit for Institutional Challenge Examinations. There are 172 semester hours of examinations to consider.
- Thomas Edison State University's College Examination Program (TECEP) examinations cover a wide variety of subjects, as well, many of which render upper level credit. These are low cost alternatives to consider to get the credit you deserve through examinations. These examinations cost $156 each to challenge (subject to change). Research that was published by the Council on Adult & Experiential Learning on June 23rd, 2010, shows that 90% of the public colleges surveyed stated they are willing to award credit for Institutional Challenge Examinations. There are as much as 108 semester hours of examinations to consider.
- Additional tuition-free courses linked to SOCRATES ® which have been evaluated by the American Council on Education are ALEKS Mathematics Courses, which provided students with 27 semester hours of subjects to consider at a cost of $19.95 per month (many can complete courses in only one month).
- Saylor Academy provides 51 semester hours of tuition-free courses linked to SOCRATES ® that have been evaluated by the American Council on Education. Students can take the examination at the end of the courses at a cost of $25 for test proctoring on a computer with a camera.
Students can save a considerable amount of money earning college credit by examination, as the cost of the tests is far less than that of tuition at most colleges. If you have passed college level examinations in the past, we can help you apply the credit toward thousands of degrees from accredited colleges and universities across the nation.
Tuition-Free Courses Can Help You Prepare
(Be sure to read the section on SOCRATES ® to find out more.)
Get the knowledge you need to succeed in challenging these exams
There are more than 62,000 courses that have been posted on the web by excellent colleges and universities for the world to benefit. We have spent years building our advanced student support website, SOCRATES ®, in which we link hundreds of these tuition-free courses, including Hollywood-style video courses digitally streamed on the web, to help students get the knowledge they need to pass these examinations. We also link students to free practice tests so they can see if they are ready to take the real examination before going to their local test center to take the exams. Our goal is to provide you with resources that can help you succeed in challenging these examinations, which can save you time and money in pursuit of the degree you desire.